Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Goddard Space Flight Center

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to be broadcasting interviews I've done with Astronomers who work at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). Goddard is a pretty wonderful place, and last April I was lucky enough to be invited to give a seminar to the high-energy Astrophysics group there (if you are curious, click here to view my presentation). While I was there, Dr. Dave Thompson was kind of enough to give me a tour of some of the unique satellite building / testing facilities they have there. If you are interested in what they look like, feel free to look at the photo album below:

Visit to Goddard Space Flight Center

Sorry, I'm not the best photographer, but I hope you get the idea.

GSFC is an absolutely huge place, where a large amount of research - both in Astronomy and in other fields - is conducted on a daily basis, as you can read here. I've done my best to get inteviews who cover the full range of research going on at GSFC, and my (preliminary) line-up is the following:
  • Dr. Jennifer Wiseman: Star and planet formation and extra-solar planet research at GSFC (Expected Air Date - 13 February 2008)
  • Dr. Aki Roberge: Star and planet formation (Expected Air Date - 20 February 2008)
  • Dr. Mark Clampin: James Webb Space Telescope, the successor to Hubble (Expected Air Date - 27 February 2008)
  • Dr. Gary Hinshaw: Cosmic Microwave Background (Expected Air Date - 5 March 2008)
  • Dr. Tod Strohmayer: X-ray emission from neutron star and blackhole binaries (Expected Air Date - 12 March 2008)
  • Dr. Ann Hornschemeier: The next generation X-ray satellite Constellation-X (Expected Air Date - 19 March 2008)
  • Dr. Neil Gehrels: The Swift satellite and Gamma-Ray Bursts (Expected Air Date - 26 March 2008)
  • Dr. Julie McEnergy: GLAST, the hopefully-soon-to-be-launched next generation gamma-ray observatory (Expected Air Date - 4 April 2008)
  • Dr. Dave Thompson: Multi-wavelength observations of the gamma-ray sky (Expected Air Date - 11 April 2008)

As I broadcast (podcast) interviews, I will post links with information on these particular projects. But in the meantime, I encourage you to check out the following websites:

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank the media officer at GSFC, Rob Gutro, for contacting scientists at GSFC to be guests on this program. This would not have been possible without his help. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: