Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope

As you can watch here (courtesy of Kennedy Space Center and YouTube):

the Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope (GLAST) has finally been launched and appears to be (so-far, knock on wood) working well. GLAST is NASA's next generation gamma-ray observatory, and will detect photons with energies a million to a billion more energetic than optical light - an energy range currently being observed by zero satellites and undetectable from the ground, either directly or indirectly. For more information on what I think is NASA's most interesting astronomical satellite in the last or next 10 years (though I am admittedly biased given that GLAST does serve my research interests), I encourage you to check out this webpage as well as my interviews with Dr. Julie McEnery on GLAST and its main science instrument, the Large Area Telescope, and with Dr. David Thompson on the gamma-ray sky and the importance of multi-wavelength observations in understanding these high energy sources.

Today's radio show was also devoted to GLAST, and I hope to post it soon. As always, questions, comments, or concerns are welcomed.

No comments: