Wednesday, December 26, 2007

New Poll: Most Exciting Astronomical Result of the Year?

Every year, Science Magazine publishes their list of the top 10 science breakthroughs of the year, and this year only one Astronomy results made the list - the assertion from Pierre Auger that the arrival directions of the highest energy particles in space are correlated with the position of active galactic nuclei, supermassive black holes in the centers of galaxies which are accreting ("eating") a lot of material (several fractions of the weight of the sun per year or more). What do you think this was the most interesting result of the year? I put up a poll with some of my favorites, though I have to admit I am heavily biased by my research interests (supernova explosions, neutron stars, that sort of thing). What were yours? Please list what interested you the most below.

Thanks a lot, and happy holidays.

No comments: